New to the Bodleian, give the gift of membership this Christmas.
As a member of the Friends, you can enjoy exclusive events in person or online, priority access to digital content and a free subscription to our magazine the Bodleian Library Friends' Newsletter. Members also receive member-only discounts, exclusive newsletters and the opportunity to see all our exhibitions before the general public.
- Exclusive events and free lectures in person and online
- Priority access to exclusive videos and other digital content
- Literary and musical evenings
- Private views of Bodleian exhibitions
- Special tours of the Library and visits to other libraries in the UK and abroad
- Free subscription to our magazine, the Bodleian Library Friends' Newsletter
- Friends' newsletter
- Annual Lecture with special guest speaker
- A 10% discount on purchases from the Bodleian Shop
- A 10% discount at the Bodleian Café in the Weston Library
- A 10% discount on the price of a Bodleian Reader Card
Founded in 1925, the Friends of the Bodleian support the work of the Libraries by providing funds to acquire, preserve and make available the treasures in our collections.
Over the years, the Friends have helped the Bodleian to secure diverse treasures such as the Sheldon Tapestry Map of Gloucestershire, the manuscript draft of Jane Austen’s 'The Watsons', and 'The Book of Curiosities', an Arabic manuscript on cosmography dating from the 12th or early 13th century.
The Friends of the Bodleian continue a great tradition of the Library's founder, Sir Thomas Bodley. It was his endowment of 1598 that formed the basis of the Library.